Tracking my weight loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday 1 August 2012

Training with a capital T.

So I had personal training last night, and all day I was like "I'm sore, I'm tired, I really don't want to go to training". But I did. Because I know it's good for me, and because I am starting to see results, and on the way home from work, thinking about that, I was like "You know what? I am tired, I am sore, and I have been sick and haven't being giving it my all this last week. So today I am going to go HARD."

So I did. But I swear my personal trainer had the same thoughts as me because crikey did she have a work out planned! I have to say I am very pleased with myself, I did more than I thought I would and I didn't need to stop as much as I normally would. I think my trainer was happy - and so was I . I was proud of what I had done.

So to give you an idea of the work out I did, and also because most of these can be done at home, and because I'm thinking of doing some at home in my spare time- but if I don't write them down I'll forget them all!!

So what it was was a circuit basically, with 50 seconds doing as many of the exercises you can and then a 20 second break. You do the circuit twice. (Or more, but I only train for 30 minutes, with 5 min warm up, 5 min cool down and stretch)

Exercise 1. 4 Sumo squats, 4 lunges. Repeat as many times within the 50 seconds.

A sumo squat is a deeper, wider squat which instead of going straight into the next squat after you come back up, you bring one leg up as high as you can and back down. Squat, come back up and then bring your other leg out and as high as you can. So basically you kind of look like a sumo as they're getting ready to wrestle. =P

Exercise 2. 2 Push ups, turn it into a burpee and tuck jump. Repeat.

So push ups everyone gets- then you have to jump in with your legs, jump up and tuck your legs up to your knees and then down. Repeat.

Exercise 3. She calls these the "Crab" . Repeat.

So the crabs is where you are in a bend back position ( so basically you look like your a weird table facing the roof) and then you have to bring your arm up and the opposite leg up to touch. Repeat on the other side.

WARNING: THIS ONE WAS HARD!! ( At least for me, I think this one was the one I struggled with the most!!)

Exercise 4. 6 Hikers (?) not sure exactly the name and 6 star jumps. Repeat.

So your on the ground in a push up position ( a real push up!) and then you pretend your climbing a ladder, bringing your knee up counts as 1. Then you jump up and do star jumps. Repeat.

Exercise 5. Sit ups with a medicine ball. Repeat.

So a normal sit up except you start with the medicine ball on the ground behind your head with your arms fully stretched out, then bring the medicine ball to your feet. Repeat. I started with a 5kgs medicine ball and then I used a 7kg for the next one to make it harder. Yes that was my choice!! ( what was I thinking??)

Exercise 6. These she called "Get ups". Repeat as many as you can in 50 seconds.

So you start on your back with a 3-5 kg weight in your arm. Your arm is held straight up in the air. You now have to get up onto your feet while keeping that arm straight! ( This is hard- just because the urge to bend your arm is so hard to resist!!) anyways once you get back up, you have to get back down. Once you're back on the ground in the position where you started you swap arms and then do it all again!

Exercise 7. So another version of a squat. You hold a sand bag at chest height - do five squats and as you stand up, push the sand bag up over your head. Bring back down as you move into a squat. After that stay in the squat and do 5 mini squats- so basically don't stand fully up. Repeat as many as you can in 50 seconds.

Exercise 8. Another version of a sit up.

Lie on your back, bring your legs up so that so that your knees are bent. Then try and touch your ankles. Repeat as many times as you can in the 50 seconds.

There were two more exercises, but now I can't remember them! Ah well. You get the idea. At the end of the training I felt like I was a wet rag. My limbs were really loose and floppy ha ha

But as you can see the majority of these would be great to do at home- if you don't have the weights I'm sure you could substitute it with something else that weighs the same.

Another exercise which I love targets your love handles. AND it's not hard!! But boy do you feel it the next day! So your standing and you have a weight (or a tin is what my trainer suggest if you're at home) in one hand, you basically just lower the weight until you have fully stretched the other side. Repeat 10 times and then swap sides. It's that easy! :)

Anyone got some good exercises that they do at home in between sessions?

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow - that was a workout that made me tired just reading about it! Congratulations on getting it done. I bet your trainer was pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane- she was! Particularly as I did better at some of the exercises that I had been struggling with previously. :)

      Delete